Manners [+digital booklet]

Manners [+digital booklet]

I feel "Sleepyhead" is in the top three best songs of 2008. I feel "Sleepyhead" is in the top three best songs of 2009 [thus far]. Confused yet? Well, "Sleepyhead" was originally released last year on Passion Pit's debut EP "Chunk Of Change" and has been brought back with some slight alterations to this debut LP. Not much is different but there are enough changes to reestablish my proclivity to leave this song on repeat again after completely playing it out last year. It's basically all the same patterns and effects. However, levels have been adjusted for the better. For instance: some of the samples have been slightly muted, while others have been seeming thrust into different channels, which to be truly appreciated should be listened on a surround sound setting. The most notable difference is the extremely well timed bass has been turned up. It adds more depth to the song (especially in the bridge and chorus) and allows it to rise above the previous version which will now likely be considered a demo version.

As far as new additions go, nothing is slacking here. "Moth's Wing" is spectacular. The chorus is so climatic and it's sporadic which helps make this song a notable listen to the very last second. "Eyes As Candles" briefly starts off a tad bland with a simple drum beat and organ pad. However, it quickly gets interesting, and after the first chorus takes you somewhere serendipitous, the song reintroduces the hypnotic bass melody for the second verse. I'm not sure I've heard a more melodic moment on an album this year. Listen to this song in your car and tell me you don't catch yourself subconsciously singing the "na na na-na-na-na, hey hey heeeey" and I will instinctively check your pulse for a beat. "Swimming In The Flood" starts off with a melancholy violin melody that sounds straight out of There Will Be Blood. Enter the dirty drum machine beat, bass, and keys and you find another stellar, hypnotic melody and suddenly I'm a huge fan. "To Kingdom Come" is straight lovely. "Let Your Love Grow Tall" shows these dudes have fun production value down to a science. "Seaweed Song" is like a fun upbeat 80s electronic r&b song and one of my favorites.

This album took a brief moment to grow on me. After my first listen, I wasn't blown away. At least not like I was when I first heard "Sleepyhead" last year. And I think that's where my fault was with regards to this album initially: I craved an album full of "Sleepyheads", songs to just blow me away. You won't find that here. What you will find, simply, is fun, hypnotic electronic songs that I ultimately feel are one of the most cohesive collection of songs released this year. I certify here every song a worthy listen and more than several are just plain spectacular. If there isn't a Passion Pit fan club yet, I want to start one, so, I can proclaim: "I'm not just a member, I'm the President."