2011 GRAMMY Nominees

2011 GRAMMY Nominees

When I turned 40 almost 12 years ago I realized that my taste in music had not really evolve since I was 25. I worked late hours and focused on my career and starting a family. For some reason, at that point, I purchased my first Grammy CD. I really
did not like a lot of the music on the CD. But, it remained in my car and I would skip over the songs that did not appeal to me.

Over the course of a month there were times when I would forget to skip a track and would listen to songs that were not my preference. As I became more familiar with the songs, I began to appreciate genres that had previously not appealed to me. Among others, I came to enjoy and understand hip hop and rap, and to recognize the popular artists.

Each year since then, I have purchased the Grammy CD (and mp3 now) and I follow the same pattern of exposing myself to new music and new artists. I look forward to purchasing the CD, though from year to year the changes now are less dramatic than when I began. I also began having friends by to watch the awards show, which has been fun.

I am by no means an audiophile. However, while many of my peers hear new music as noise, I have acquired a much better appreciation of popular artists. My son's college aged friends are usually shocked that his decrepit father likes songs by eminem or TI. Maybe in 20 years my grandchildren will be the ones asking: "how does grandpa know about that?".

There are other annual compilations, but this is the best from my perspective. I listen to other music during the year, but buying this CD each year hopefully will keep me open to enjoying new music. I would hate to become stuck again. 

This great & fantastic CD has 19 great tracks, all nominated/from nominees for the 53rd Annual Grammy Awards which were presented during the ceremony on 02/13/2011. Winners are voted by the members of The Recording Academy & recipients will receive the greatest music accalade in the music industry (Grammy Awards). A portion of CD sales will go to charities (Grammy Foundation & MusiCares Foundation). The music from this CD has various musicians & genres ranging from Classical ("Have n't Met You Yet" by the great Canadian crooner Michael Buble' from his bestseller album 'Crazy Love', wonderful track, vocals & melody), Country ("The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert & "Need You Now" by the ever popular country band Lady Antebellum from the bestseller album of the same name), Soul/R 'n B ("Forget You" by soul singer Cee-Lo Green from the bestseller album 'Lady Killer', "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars from the bestseller album 'Doo-Wops And Hooligans' & "Babyfather" by Sade nominated after a 10 year hiatus, song from great album 'Soldier Of Love'), Hip Hop/Rap/R 'n B ("Nothin' On You" by B.o.B featuring Bruno Mars, "Love The Way You Lie" by Eminem & Rihanna. This track is in both 2 bestseller albums by these two great artists, CDs/albums being 'Recovery' & 'Loud' respectively) & Pop/Rock ("California Gurls" by the sucessful Katy Perry featuring bad boy rapper Snoop Dogg, "Telephone" by the ever popular & outragious Lady Gaga featuring the amazing Beyonce', "Ready To Start" by Arcade Fire, "Half Of My Heart" by John Mayer featuring country superstar Taylor Swift, song from the great album 'Battle Studies', "This Is It" by the late King of Pop Michael Jackson from the album of the same name, a posthumous release; "Beg Steal Or Borrow" by popular Ray LaMontagne and the Pariah Dogs, "Don't Stop Believin'" by great Glee Cast, "Misery" by Maroon 5 from the great album 'Hands All Over' & "Hey, Soul Sister"~(live) by the ever popular live performing rock band/act, Train from the great album 'Save Me, San Francisco'). On overall, this is a compilation of the best music/artists nominated for the greatest award in music industry, a wide variety of music/artists may be a double-edged sword for the 'purists vs fans' but often many fans are pleased as shown/indicated by the popularity/success of this series (Grammy Nominees) & this CD will make you enjoy the Grammy Awards Ceremony much more as the winners are announced as well as some great performances or if you enjoyed the ceremony/performances on 02/13/2011. All the categories of the nominations appear at the back of this great CD for each track/nominee, a highly recommended CD listening!